Hey there! I’m working on setting up recipes and how to display them, etc. For now, here is a recipe for one of my very favorite foods – chicken with olives and preserved lemons. I make it pretty often, trying different recipes, etc. Usually we eat it with bulgar.
Chicken Tagine With Olives and Preserved Lemons
- 5 cloves garlic mashed
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 chicken cut in 8 to 10 pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions sliced thin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 8 cracked green olives pitted and halved
- 1 large or 3 small preserved lemons
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Mix garlic, saffron, ginger, paprika, cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper together. Rub chicken with mixture, cover, refrigerate and marinate 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add chicken, and brown on all sides. Remove to platter. Add onions to skillet, and cook over medium-low heat about 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to tagine, if you are using one, or leave in skillet. Add cinnamon stick.
- Put chicken on onions. Scatter with olives. Quarter the lemons, remove pulp and cut skin in strips. Scatter over chicken. Mix stock and lemon juice. Pour over chicken.
- Cover tagine or skillet. Place over low heat, and cook about 30 minutes, until chicken is done. Scatter parsley on top, and serve.